Plugin Boutique are offering 86% off the 1176 Classic Limiter Collection by UAD for a limited time, now only £39.00 / $49.18, (usually £299.00 / $377.07). The offer ends September 4th.
The original Universal Audio 1176 was designed by UA founder M.T. “Bill” Putnam, and represented a major breakthrough in limiter technology. The first compressor featuring solid‑state circuitry and ultra-fast 20 microsecond FET gain reduction, the 1176 is an easy‑to‑use “desert island” compressor that has lent its character and punch to some of the greatest recordings in history.
Upon its release in 2001, UA’s first 1176 plug‑in single‑handedly launched the UAD platform. Extensive end‑to‑end circuit modeling in 2013 captured even more sonic nuance. Now with updated graphics and additional controls, the 1176 Classic Limiter Collection continues its legacy of analog modeling excellence.
The 1176 Classic Limiter Plug-In Collection provides three distinct 1176 revisions, representing over 40 years of design iterations to the original 1176. The Rev A “Bluestripe” represents the original Putnam FET limiter design, complete with its higher distortion and unique FET gain amplifier characteristics. The Rev E “Blackface” covers the early ’70s Brad Plunkett “LN” (Low Noise) era, with variations including a more linear compression response, transistor gain amplification, and a change to the program dependence. The 1176AE provides UA’s rare 1176 40th Anniversary Edition, complete with exclusive mods — including its lower 2:1 compression ratio.
Using an 1176 is a study in simplicity. Input simultaneously sets compression threshold and the level of the signal entering the 1176; Output sets the final signal level. Attack sets the time it takes the 1176 to respond to incoming signal, while Release sets the time it takes the 1176 to return to its initial level. The VU meter displays the amount of gain reduction (GR) or output level (+4/+8).
The four Ratio buttons determine the degree of gain reduction — lower ratios for compression, higher ratios for limiting. Disengaging all Ratio buttons disables compression, while continuing to pass signal through the 1176 circuitry, adding unmistakable color. At the request of users, “Multi-Button” combinations possible with the hardware are now attainable in the plug-in — including the famous “All Button” sound.
Exclusive plug‑in only features lend modern workflows to this classic processor collection. Get quick parallel processing on bass and kick drums with Dry/Wet mix controls, or use the custom Sidechain Filter to tame low‑frequency pumping. Plus, enhanced graphics with improved VU metering bring iconic FET compression into a new age.
- Use any audio interface, with both UAD Native and Apollo Realtime/UAD-2 versions included
- Track and mix with painstaking emulations of the legendary 1176, the most popular compressor ever made
- Choose from three famous versions: Rev A, Rev E, and AE — each with their own sonic attributes
- Harness the 1176’s entire electronic path including transformers and FET and transistor amplifiers for colorful distortion
- Access “All-Button” or “No Ratio” modes for colorful overdriven textures
- Expanded controls for Headroom, Mix, and custom Sidechain Filter for reduced LF pumping
- Mix with presets from legendary 1176 users such as Andy Johns, Andrew Scheps, Ed Cherney, and Joe Chiccarelli
Versions Included with your Purchase:
- UAD Native: Runs on your Mac or PC without any UA hardware
- Apollo Realtime & UAD-2: Runs accelerated on Apollo interfaces and UAD-2 hardware
The 1176 Classic Limiter Collection is available to PC and Mac users (VST3, AU and AAX) and requires an iLok account.
For more information on the 1176 Classic Limiter Collection, click here:
NOTE: Some of the links you click on may be affiliated. Clicking and purchasing using these links helps support and fund The Beat Community. Thanks for your support.