Toontrack have released Frank Filipetti’s Stories SDX, an expansion for Superior Drummer 3, available for €179.00.
Whether you grew up in the ’80s, ’90s or the 2000s, you can’t have escaped hearing music touched by the audio genius of Frank Filipetti. From Foreigner’s “I Want to Know What Love Is,” The Bangles’ “Eternal Flame,” Carly Simon’s “Coming Around Again” and James Taylor’s “Hourglass” to jaw-dropping surround mixes, beautifully captured original cast Broadway productions as well as soundtracks for blockbuster movies – he’s done them all. For more than five decades and counting, Filipetti has shaped the sound for the absolute top tier of the industry in genres spanning the entire range and, what’s more, excelled in them all. If anything, his seven Grammy Award wins and ten nominations are a testament to that.
The expansion includes a broad selection of drum kits and percussion instruments handpicked to paint a brushstroke across Frank’s entire catalogue and ultimately represent a cross section of his remarkable career. Recorded in both the main room as well as two different-size isolation booths of Filipetti’s choice studio, Power Station New England, the natural reverberation in this SDX covers the entire spectrum – from ambient and loud down to tight, intimate and subtle. In addition, a 5.0 surround microphone setup was kept intact between all rooms captured, giving you endless options to mix drums within a scope limited only by your imagination.
Aside from the drums and percussion, libraries of mix-ready presets engineered by both Frank as well as the Toontrack sound design team are provided. On top of that, one custom set of MIDI files dedicated to each kit as well as a general collection of percussion patterns are provided, allowing you to get started with grooves and sounds that instantly bring out the heart and soul of the instruments.
Every meeting, connection, personal journey started or completed, bridge crossed or hurdle overcome has a story attached. Combined, this string of stories weave the intricate patchwork of fleeting episodes that constitute what we call life. In that, songs play a pivotal role – not only as musical markers to reminisce to, but they also help us connect on an emotional level. Here are Frank Filipetti’s stories, told in the shape of six drum kits that each portrays a mile marker in his life’s work.
- 6 kits and a comprehensive collection of percussion instruments
- Recorded at Power Station New England by multi-award-winning producer/engineer/mixer Frank Filipetti
- Drum and tuning technician: Artie Smith
- Three different ambiences (main room and two isolation booths)
- Sampled with drumsticks throughout as well as with snare wires on/off, rods and mallets for selected kits
- All kits/percussion captured with an additional five room microphones for mixing in stereo up to 5.0 surround
- One of the included kits sampled with both drumsticks (wires on/off) as well as rods and mallets
- A broad selection of mix-ready presets
- Includes MIDI grooves and patterns for the drum kits, additional tools and percussion
For more information on Frank Filipetti’s Stories SDX, click here:
NOTE: Some of the links you click on may be affiliated. Clicking and purchasing using these links helps support and fund The Beat Community. Thanks for your support.