Plugin Boutique are offering up to 51% off D16 Group plugins including Decimort 2 for a limited time, now only £21.95 / $26.08, (usually £45.00 / $53.46). There are also deals on other D16 Group plugins. The offers end November 29th.
Electronic music (especially Hip-Hop) producers have long been aware that classic samplers (such as early Akai and E-MU units) had a character and sound all their own: they added a “grit” and “colour” to the samples and loops they played back which made them sound “fat” and sit well in a mix. This sound colouration was due to the encoding techniques, lower sample rate and bit depth, and conversion circuits used by these early samplers. Decimort recreates this colouration and adds that vintage sampler magic back to any loop, any bassline, or any sound played through it for that matter! Beyond vintage sampler emulation, it’s also the perfect bit-crusher with filter, capable of extreme settings for dramatic results.
While this tagline may seem like an oxymoron on the surface, allow us to explain: the Decimort effect unit (available as part of the SilverLine collection of plugins from D16) is a premium grade bit crusher and sample rate reducer with some highly unconventional features. The advanced signal processing algorithms within Decimort simulate the complex behaviour of the entire sampling path that exists in every AD/DA converter, and with version 2 comes far greater control over the process!
Decimort has zero internal aliasing—in fact, the only aliasing present is the emulated aliasing of the classic samplers we modelled when creating it. Unwelcome artefacts are completely absent in the processed signal: only the desirable, modelled ones remain.
Decimort isn’t just another bitcrusher with only bit resolution and sampling frequency to tweak; in fact, it provides far more advanced features than you likely could have ever expected from an effect of this kind, all implemented in stunning quality:
- Two optional anti-alias filters – A very steep low-pass pre-filter (Approximative Filter) coupled with the resampling frequency that removes all harmonic content above it, ensuring no aliasing will appear below this frequency in the spectrum. A further post filter (Image filter), also synchronized with the resampler, gives control over the amount of aliasing images appearing above resampling frequency when enabled.
- Adjustable Jitter – An unprecedented feature in the bit crusher’s world which introduces short-period, random fluctuations to the resampling frequency, thus making the process even more sonically interesting by producing a type of harmonic distortion you’ve likely never heard in this context.
- Two quantization methods – Two available quantization methods; the mid-raiser and mid-tread decimation algorithms, each of them characterized by a drastically different dynamics response.
- Controllable dithering – Dithering was conceptually developed as a means to reduce audible quantization errors by masking the harmonic distortions they cause. We added controllable dithering to increase the number of ways in which you can (mal)treat the sound.
All this adds up to a very powerful and musical tool which is not only another creativity-releasing item for your arsenal but one that gives you the ability to emulate classic sampling units in-the-box; now with even greater precision through access to a variety of parameters unavailable up till now in effects of this type!
Decimort is also equipped with analogue-like filters with adjustable resonance that allow further sculpting of the signal. These can be used to smooth the sound or remove sonic artefacts introduced into the signal path by the modelling process to your taste.
- Ultra accurate resampling algorithm (ADC emulation, no harmonics above 22kHz)
- Approximative (pre) filter and Image (post) filter, both conjugated with resampler
- Adjustable jitter
- Quantization with controlled dithering
- Two quantization methods (mid-raiser, mid-tread)
- Analogue-like filters with adjustable resonance and cutoff
- Tag-based preset browser
- Two alternative GUI sizes
- MIDI-learn functionality throughout
- 64bit internal processing
- No unwanted harmonic distortions at the output
Decimort 2 is available to PC and Mac users (VST2, VST3, AU and AAX).
For more information on Decimort 2 and the other plugins on offer, click here:
NOTE: Some of the links you click on may be affiliated. Clicking and purchasing using these links helps support and fund The Beat Community. Thanks for your support.